Springsteen Says American Democracy “Under Attack” in Tour Launch, White House Responds

Bruce Springsteen is once again taking aim at Donald Trump, using the announcement of his upcoming North American tour to deliver sharp political criticism.
Earlier this week, Springsteen revealed the North American leg of his “Land of Hope and Dreams” tour. In a statement, he said he and the E Street Band would be “rocking your town in celebration and in defense of America — American democracy, American freedom, our American Constitution and our sacred American dream.”
Related Trump Seeks $10 Billion in Taxpayer Money for New Board of Peace, Critics Warn of Oversight Risks
He added that those values are “under attack by our wannabe king and his rogue government in Washington D.C.” The remarks were widely viewed as a direct reference to Trump and his administration.
While Trump has responded personally to Springsteen’s criticisms in the past, this time the White House reaction came after Politico requested comment.
Steven Cheung, a senior communications director at the White House, issued a statement criticizing Springsteen and referencing several of his song titles. Cheung suggested the singer’s “Glory Days are behind him” and accused him of having “Trump Derangement Syndrome.”
Springsteen has long been one of Trump’s most outspoken critics in the music industry. Since the start of Trump’s second term, he has increased his public opposition, especially regarding immigration policies.
Earlier this year, Springsteen released a protest song titled “Streets of Minneapolis” following the January death of Alex Pretti during an ICE operation. The White House previously dismissed the track as “random” and “irrelevant.”
The upcoming tour is scheduled to begin March 31 in Minneapolis, a location that has drawn attention given Springsteen’s recent activism connected to the city.
The tour will conclude on May 27 at Nationals Park in Washington, D.C., ending the run in the nation’s capital.
