Lifestyle Changes and Risk Reduction Strategies That Help Prevent Macular Degeneration
This is a primary cause of blindness for old people; dry macular degeneration has a few treatment options, making a few lifestyle adjustments and using preventative measures can help lower the likelihood of getting the disease. This article will examine the most potent dietary modifications and risk-reduction techniques that can help stave against macular degeneration and promote good vision.
What is macular degeneration?
Macular degeneration is a condition in which the macular of the retina responsible for clear vision degenerates, making it difficult to carry out daily activities like reading, driving, or recognizing faces; it harms the macula’s cells and causes loss of central vision. Macular degeneration comes in two varieties: wet and dry.
The more prevalent kind of macular degeneration, known as dry macular degeneration, happens when tiny accumulations of waste material known as drusen build up behind the retina. Wet macular degeneration is a more severe condition that develops when abnormal blood vessels sprout underneath the retina and leak blood and fluid, resulting in faster and more considerable vision loss. Dry macular degeneration treatment can be found at reputabl optomotrist practices like John Rose Eyecare.
What are some lifestyle changes that can prevent macular degeneration?
- Ensure to take a balanced diet
- ; consuming food rich in fruit and vegetables rich in antioxidants, like spinach, broccoli and berries, can help prevent macular degeneration
- Quit smoking; smoking can damage the lungs as well as the retina, resulting to degeneration of the macular. Ending your smoking habit can significantly lower your risk of contracting this illness.
- Exercise; ensure to exercise frequently; this can increase blood flow to the eyes and reduce inflammation in preventing macular degeneration. Regular aerobic activities like cycling, jogging, and walking can decrease risk.
- Sunlight exposure might increase the likelihood that you will get macular degeneration, therefore shielding your eyes from it. Sun protection clothing and polarized eyewear when outdoors can aid in
- protecting your eyes from damaging UV rays
- Maintain a healthy weight and blood sugar levels: Macular degeneration risk is increased by obesity and high blood sugar levels. Ensure controlling your blood sugar levels and maintaining a healthy weight can help lower your risk.
What are some Risk reduction strategies for preventing macular degeneration?
Regularly check your eyes: Macular degeneration can be found early during routine eye exams when it is most easily treated. Every year, adults over 50 should undergo an eye exam.
Use of supplements: supplements containing vitamins C, E and zinc may be prescribed if there is a high risk of developing macular degeneration. Before ingesting any supplements, see a physician.
Overall, Macular degeneration can be prevented by adopting risk-reduction methods and changing one’s lifestyle. The chance of having this condition can be significantly decreased by quitting smoking, exercising frequently, and shielding the eyes from damaging UV rays. Regular eye exams are also essential for prevention and early treatment. We can prolong our vision and quality of life by taking proactive measures to maintain the health of our eyes.
Also check – Understand if health insurance is expensive in India | Chola MS